Elastoplast Youth Mouthguards are used to prevent concussion and injuries to the mouth and jaw when participating in contact sport such as boxing, football, MMA (mixed martial arts) or basketball. Encourage wear during sport time by choosing your child’s favourite colour.
The Elastoplast Youth Mouthguard is a ‘boil and bite’ product. It uses thermoplastic (BPA and latex free) that moulds to the shape of your child’s teeth and jaw. A snug, custom fit is important to provide maximum protection against dental damage.
How to Use
It is recommended that after each use the Elastoplast Sports Mouthguard be washed in a mild antiseptic, then rinsed in clean water under a tap and dry thoroughly before replacing in your personal mouthguard container.
How to fit a youth mouth guard?
Fitting a youth mouthguard is the same as fitting an adult mouthguard. It’s recommended to help your child fit their mouthguard, as the process involves boiling water.
1. Have your child practice pressing the mouthguard firmly to the roof of their mouth with their tongue, suck back a bit, and bite down with their teeth. Bite firm, but not too hard. They’ll be doing this for real in a minute.
2. Get out two bowls. Fill one with boiling water and the other with cold water. Make sure there will be enough room to fully submerge the mouthguard.
3. While the boiling water is still very hot, use a fork to place the mouthguard under the hot water so it is fully submerged.
4. Let the mouthguard soak in the boiling water for 20-30 seconds.
5. Once soft, use your fork to lift the mouthguard out of the bowl of boiling water and put it straight into bowl of cold water.
6. Let the mouthguard sit in the cold water for 3-5 seconds. This is just to make the mouthguard cool enough to put in your child’s mouth, but still warm enough to be mouldable.
7. Tell your child to bite down on the mouthguard using the technique you they practiced in step 1. Hold for one minute. Remember to bite firm, but not too hard.
8. If the mouthguard still feels loose, you’ll need to remould it starting from step 3.
9. Once you have the right fit, remove the mouthguard and put it back into the bowl of cold water to set.