Elastoplast Junior Mouthguards are used to prevent concussion and injuries to the mouth and jaw when participating in contact sport such as boxing, football or MMA (mixed martial arts). Encourage wear during sport time by choosing your child’s favourite colour from a range of kids’ mouthguard colours.
The Elastoplast Junior Mouthguard is a ‘boil and bite’ product. It uses thermoplastic (BPA and latex free) that moulds to the shape of your child’s teeth and jaw. A snug, custom fit is important to provide maximum protection against dental damage.
How to Use
It is recommended that after each use the Elastoplast Sports Mouthguard be washed in a mild antiseptic, then rinsed in clean water under a tap and dry thoroughly before replacing in your personal mouthguard container.
How to fit a junior mouthguard?
Fitting a junior mouthguard is the same as fitting an adult mouthguard. Since you’ll be using boiling water to soften the mouthguard, it’s recommended to help your child fit their mouthguard.
1. Do a practice run by having your child push the mouthguard firmly to the roof of their mouth with their tongue, suck back a bit, and bite down with their teeth. They need to bite fairly firm, but not too hard.
2. You’ll now need two bowls, a fork, and a kettle. Fill one bowl with boiling water and the other with cold water. Make sure there’s enough water to be able to push the mouthguard all the way under.
3. Use the fork to push your child’s mouthguard under the hot water so it is fully submerged.
4. Hold the mouthguard in place so it can soak in the boiling water for 20-30 seconds.
5. Your mouthguard should now be soft enough to mould. Pop it into the bowl of cold water.
6. Hold the mouthguard in the cold water for 3-5 seconds. It still needs to be warm enough to be moulded, but cool enough to put in your child’s mouth.
7. Tell your child to bite down on the mouthguard using the technique they practiced in step 1. Hold for one minute. Remember to bite firm, but not too hard.
8. If the mouthguard still feels loose, you’ll need to remould it starting from step 3.
9. Once you have the right fit, pop the mouthguard back into the bowl of cold water to let it set completely.